A simple and beloved comfort dish, the humble grilled cheese is best made with quality ingredients. Chef Vikram gives you a glimpse into his favorite way to prepare one of the world’s favorite foods.
Cow’s milk cheese. Chef’s favorite: Comte available at Costco or Wholefoods
Butter or Olive Oil
Maui Onion Jam (available by calling Tbd… at 808-791-5164)
- Spread butter on two slices of sourdough bread
- Cut off rind of cheese, slice and place on bread. Amount of cheese depends on your individual taste.
- Spread layer of Maui Onion Jam on top of cheese.
- Place in warm cast iron skillet over medium low heat.
- Flip after you are able to easily slide the sandwich around on the pan
- Grill other side
- Chef’s tip: tap on the grilled bread and you should hear a nice crisp sound to the bread. That is “the key” to knowing you have grilled the bread for the right amount.
- After you are able to slide the bread easily, remove from the pan.
- Cut and serve with your favorite accompaniment. Chef’s favorite is a grain mustard spread on top of the bread.
- Bon Appetite!
Additional options for extra flavor instead of Maui Onion Jam include sliced green apples, sliced pear, raisins.